Ruby Zima Film and Art Festival: A way for student to express themselves and show their talent

In just 3 weeks student art, film and performances will be showcased at the fifth annual Ruby Zima Film and Art Festival. Many are eager to find out who wins and what kind of art there will be this year.

Upon getting ready for the festival, there is a lot of man hours put in to make the festival top notch. There was also a competition for students for all grades at Fenton High School to design and put together an idea for the logo of the festival. The logo will be seen all throughout the festival and it has already been put on posters and flyers to raise awareness.

“It was my idea to have the very first art competition for the logo,” Suzanne Jule, an art teacher at Fenton High School, said. “I wanted to get more people participating and involved with the festival.”

All the art pieces submitted were judged by Fenton Foundation Board Members and local art teachers from different districts.

“We were looking for something that represented the whole festival not a specific aspect. Our final winner was junior, Jessica Kundrick,” Jule said. “Jessica’s art was realistic, beautifully done with beautiful colors and a little edgy. But all drawings were really nice and well done.”

Kundrick won $250 and her original art piece was auctioned off, but the idea was also made the logo of the festival.

“I saw a picture once with the roses on it and it inspired me to come up with my own design using the roses,” Kundrick said. “But when I found out I won, I was surprised and I didn’t think I would win.”.

The festival itself is named after retired teacher, Ruby Zima. Zima worked as an English and Drama teacher from 1969 to 1999 and was the first to lead the drama program. The school named the auditorium after her in 2007.

“There’s a wonderful wide variety in the arts that’s being presented.” Zima said, “I certainly hope to attend this year.”

Any students within the Metro League had a chance to submit an art piece within the categories of film production, performing arts or visual arts. All the performances and art will be judged by the members of the festivals committee. First place winners of each category will win $250, second place winners receive $125 and third place runner ups will win $50.

“All students should make the most of all opportunities during their high school years,” Fenton High School Principal, Mark Suchowski said. ”The chance to have one’s artwork or other artistic efforts on display for our community is rare and one of which students should take advantage. Recognition for a student’s artistic effort is an important part of the Ruby Zima Festival.”

With admission being $2 for students, $5 for adults and $10 for a family of four, all should come out and see who wins and show support at the Ruby Zima Film and Art Festival on March 15 in the Fenton High Auditorium.

When the festival is concluded at 4 p.m., participants will be treated with appetizers from local restaurants. Funds generated by the festival go to Fenton Area Public Schools to purchase materials to support the arts in the classroom