The girls and boys varsity bowling teams progress as the season continues

Sophomore+Tate+Temrowski+tosses+the+ball+down+the+lane.++The+bowling+team+practices+on+Tuesdays+and+Fridays.+

PHOTO Staff Photo

Sophomore Tate Temrowski tosses the ball down the lane. The bowling team practices on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Bree Soule, Writer

After both teams won only one match last season, the girls and boys varsity bowling teams are working to improve their skills as bowlers and hope to be on the path to victory.

“There can be improvement for anything we do,” senior Nick Hall said. “I always tell everyone that no one is perfect at anything. We can always do some drills and things of that nature but it’s all for the better. I think we’ll bowl really well the rest of the season and still have a chance to contend with other teams.”

While improving their record, on Dec. 3 both the boys and girls teams defeated Linden, and the girls won against Holly. However, both lost matches to Brandon.

“The Holly and Linden matches were close,” girls varsity bowling coach Grant Hanners said. “It’s always nice to come out on the winning end when going against local rivalries. If the bowlers enjoy it, coaching is rewarding. If they aren’t, then it’s not. So, hopefully we can improve our status and have fun.”

The girls were able to take victories over both rivals, Holly and Linden, and they hope to do it again during the second half of the season.

“We’ve just reached the midpoint of our season where we play everyone in the league a second time,” senior Angela Hanners said. “I expect that we’ll win again against Linden and Holly and enact our revenge against Brandon, who we were points away from being defeated at our last match.”

The girls team beat Linden on Dec. 12 and Holly Dec. 10, both 21-9. Meanwhile, the boys team beat Linden on Dec. 12 and ended with a final score of 17-13.

“We destroyed Linden in the Baker matches,” sophomore Tate Temrowski said. “That set the stage for the overall win, giving us a 10 point advantage as we went into singles play. If we can be consistent and continue to improve the way we have been, we should be able to take a lot more wins.”

Both the girls and boys teams next matches are against Swartz Creek High School Jan. 26. The teams previously fell to Creek Dec. 10.