Boys varsity swim takes first place at Metro League meet

PHOTO Rashida Rahman

Screaming in victory, the Boys’ swim team accepts their Flint Metro’s award. This was the seniors’ last home meet.

Madi Wheeler, Online Editor-in-Chief

Taking first, the Fenton boys swim and dive team competed in the Metros meet on Feb. 21, 22 and 23. Finals for both swimming and diving happened on Feb. 23, where the boys won the metro for the seventh consecutive year.

“For the finals on Saturday, I had many of my easier dives and I got around 29 points. I was able to take second place out of the nine divers at the meet,” senior Jack Killian said.

The boys team ended the meet with three new records for the Metro meet as well as three state cuts for all of their relays.

“For the 200 Free Relay and the 400 Free Relay we got our state cuts, so Metros went very well for me,” sophomore Alec Maddock said. “I’m looking forward to the state meet to get to see what the setup is for the meet. I’m also looking forward to getting to spend two extra weeks with the seniors because there’s so many of them and they’ve been a huge influence on me and the reason why I swim.”

This season marks the end for eight graduating seniors who take with them their strong sense of leadership.

“We did very well,” varsity swim coach Brad Jones said. “This is a very big senior group and we are taking seven seniors to the state meet so that is always a lot of fun when your seniors get to go to the state meet. We had great leadership all year long and so continuing the tradition of winning the Metro League was a lot of fun.”

Preparing for the state meet include seniors Evan Bartow, Noah Maier, Jake Iddings, Zac Jump, Josh Kippe, Spencer Gabler and Jack Killian; juniors Joel Diccion and Anthony Barnett; sophomores Alec Maddock and Gavin Crews. The state competition will take place at Eastern University on March 8.