College is becoming expensive, here’s some resources to ease the costs

Grahm Staib, Writer

If you’re going to college, you’re most likely going to find yourself in a pile of debt. According to the Federal Reserve, 62 percent of adults aged 18-29 have took on some debt after attending a four year institution. This trend will continue as college tuitions continue to increase year-by-year. Here are some resources that can be found at the high school and online.

Fenton High School Resources

FHS Scholarship Google Document

In order to take advantage of the numerous scholarship opportunities in the area, the counseling office has created a Google Document with links to many national and local scholarships. This document is updated whenever new scholarship opportunities reach the counseling office. To gain access to this doc, contact your counselor.

Local Scholarship Packet

This packet is only available for upcoming seniors and contains a wide variety of scholarships provided locally. “The application for local scholarships will be available in March 2020,” Counselor Craig Golembiewski said. “The application will be due shortly after spring break.” The scholarships provided hold different requirements and monetary values to appeal to as many students as possible.

Online Resources

Scholly

Scholly is an app that provides students with scholarships that are to fit them. It takes your personal information and your college/career goals, and searches its database for the scholarships that fit you the best. It puts the scholarships from a score of 1-10; Ten being a scholarship that fits you perfectly, and one being one you should probably avoid.

Genesee Opportunity

If you graduate from Fenton High School or any high school in Genesee county, you will be eligible to apply for a stipend from the Genesee opportunity. This stipend is awarded one time and must be used 12 months after being awarded. Amounts have differed from year to year. 2020 Graduates are eligible to apply on Jan. 7, 2020, and are able to use the funds immediately after graduation.

Career Cruising

Much like scholly, Career Cruising has you fill out a questionnaire and tailors its results to fit to the data you submitted. The login for Fenton students is as follows; Username:fent-****(four digit student code), and password:****(four digit student code)edp.