Senior and junior boys participate in Powder Tuff

Taron Masi, Online Editor

For the first time in eight years, the Student Council hosted a Powder Tuff game on Feb. 24. The game was used as publicity in hopes of increasing ticket sales for this year’s Sadies dance. Ten teams, made up of junior and senior boys met on the court to play volleyball. 

“Playing volleyball was a blast and a half,” junior Brody Stack said. “I’m really glad we were able to make it happen for the first time since I’ve been in high school. It’s always good to get the school to come together and have the chance to do something fun.”

Lots of time and preparation was put into the organization of Powder Tuff. The Student Council held weekly meetings in the weeks before the competition to ensure everything would run smoothly. 

“The idea to put together a Power Tuff game really came about because the executive board was looking for ways to sell enough tickets for this year’s Winter Dance,” senior Elizabeth Goodman said. “We got the idea after going to a Flint Metro League Student Council Meeting and hearing that other schools held successful Powder Tuff games each year, exciting students to hopefully buy dance tickets. We’re beyond excited that we were able to pull it off.”

In order to get more of the student body involved, the Student Council reached out to volleyball players to work as referees, judges, and coaches. 

“Powder Tuff was very fun,” senior Anna Weigle said. “I worked as an official for the senior boys teams. It was interesting to watch all the boys attempt to play a sport you don’t usually see boys playing. I thought it was a great way to give the boys something to do like the girls have when they do Powder Puff in the fall.”

Senior boys team, Ryan Miller, Lucas Curran, Ricky Giltrop, Lucas Clayborn, Mitchell Cairnduff, Addison McIntosh and Jacob Boulay, take home first place. The Student Council is hopeful that Powder Tuff will continue to become an annual school event.