Varsity football team starts the season off strong with the new restrictions

April Carr, Writer

On Sept. 3, Michigan high school football players got the okay to begin the football season and after weeks of preparation, the Fenton Tigers had their first game against Holly, 

“The first two games went great,” senior Logan Angel said. “Starting 2-0 in a six game season is huge for us. What really stuck out to me against Holly was the second half. The first half we definitely came out slow and it took us a little bit to get used to what they were doing, but after half time we came out and played our style of football”

The Tigers won 46-0 against Holly. On Sept. 25th, the Tigers played against the Kearsley Hornets, winning 50-14. 

“The highlight of the second game was just how we played as a team,” Angel said. “Our defense played super good. Our offense put up 50 points. I mean the first two offensive plays we had two touchdowns. Going up 14-0 that quick was a huge part in that game.”

While the season may be different from previous years, new recruit, freshman Jahion Bond, is looking forward to the upcoming season.

“Being a freshman on varsity is crazy to me and I still think about it,” Bond said. “It’s a lot of people’s dreams or what a lot of kids want to do and for me to have that opportunity says a lot. I don’t have any fears because I feel like I belong out there and I have a big impact on the team. My coaches and great teammates made me feel like I belonged with them.”

When Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer lifted the orders on Michigan football, it came with a lot of rules from Michigan High school Athletic Association (MHSAA). According to Michigan High school Athletic Association, these rules include wearing masks and being socially distanced.

“The new rules aren’t necessarily weird; they just stink,” Angel said. “At practice we have to wear masks, we are socially distanced all the time, no students or band so the games are quieter. It is weird playing with Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) rules, but no one really thinks about it because we feel lucky to have a season rather than upset about the rules they have given.”

The next game will take place Oct. 9 against the Flushing Raiders.