How are athletes changing the way they play because of Covid

Riann Masi, Writer

As COVID-19 continues to spread and the school year begins, student-athletes are challenged with COVID-19 restrictions. Wearing a mask during games and practices along with getting your temperature taken is a strict rule all sports must follow. While there have been a few hiccups with sports, they persist. 

“These restrictions have definitely affected how I play,” junior Bella Henson said, “It’s hard to be a team when you can’t hear each other on the court because of  our mask.”

Restrictions aren’t only for the athletes, but for the parents as well. Each sport has a limited amount of spectators allowed to attend. The spectators are required to wear a mask and practice social distancing while viewing the activity the Central for Disease Control said. 

“Especially in Cross Country, because we’re already spread out so much, I believe we should allow more spectators to watch if they practice social distancing and wear a mask.” junior Josh Maier said. 

COVID-19 has put restrictions on all sports for the goal of slowing the spread of the virus, but students are still continuing to participate and work at their sport. Staying positive and being able to enjoy a sport is something that athletes need to succeed in their activity. 

“Although the restrictions are an inconvenience sometimes, I would absolutely rather have the restrictions than not be able to play,” Henson said.

The sports students enjoy participating in or watch are still available, however, they have been modified for the benefit of the students and spectators That doesn’t mean the changes are permanent and the regulations make it so these sports can continue to proceed.