When and how to apply to colleges

Meghan Maier, Online Editor

Since the 2020-2021 school year has now come to an end, the class of 2022 is beginning the process of applying to colleges. Applying to colleges can be tricky, but can easily be done with the right advice.

Educationplanner.org shared a piece of advice on deadlines when applying: “Make sure you know the deadlines, start your applications early enough to complete them. Deadlines can vary but are usually between Jan. 1 and Feb. 15, although for early admissions it may be an earlier deadline.”

After submitting applications, students may worry if the college they applied to received it, Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or American College Test (ACT) scores, transcripts and, if needed, letters of recommendation.

“Confirm that your materials have arrived,” Connor Peoples with SallieMae said. “Contact the school’s admissions office a couple of days after you submit your application, to see if they received the application along with all the materials.”

Another big part of applying to colleges is the application essay. According to college.harvard.org, it’s best to create an essay on something the College Admissions Office has never seen before in other enlisters. 

“College admissions want to know who you are. If you write about someone else who affected your life, always bring it back to you. Make sure you proofread the essay, the last thing you would want is to turn in a college essay with a bunch of errors in it.”

These few tips and tricks should help make the college application process a little easier for students that are building their college applications this coming school year.