13th Annual Volley for a Cure event honors one of their own

Staff

The 13th annual Volley for a Cure event is set to take place on Sept. 20 at 5 p.m. in the Main Gym. Proceeds from this year’s event will be donated to Fenton community member and FHS parent Colette Buzo. Buzo was also the recipient in 2017 after her initial breast cancer diagnosis.

“I feel incredibly honored and touched to be chosen as the recipient for this event,” Buzo said. “Both my daughters are in the volleyball program and I’ve also played in local leagues for 17 years.”

In addition to being a recipient herself, Buzo has also been involved in the process of selecting other recipients for the event.

Last year, I was asked if I knew of anyone in the community that would be a great candidate for this gift,” Buzo said. “I was able to bless an amazing individual with the funds.”

The experience of raising these funds provides a nontraditional learning and team bonding environment for the students involved.

“I think Volley for a Cure allows the players a community service opportunity to bless a deserving individual with a gift,” Buzo said. “It brings those students together to work toward one common goal.”

Each year, players from the volleyball program go head-to-head with boys soccer team members— competing both on and off the court towards the common goal of raising funds for an individual battling cancer. The teams compete to see who can raise the most funds for the event in the days leading up to it and then meet one-another on the court for a volleyball showdown.

“We do a six-on-six game for each team and grade,” sophomore Taylor Thornburg said. “Most of the time the volleyball players win.”

Although last year the volleyball team took home the win on the court as well as for most money raised, the champion of this year’s competition is yet to be determined.

“Last year we did not beat the volleyball team, but we did raise about $1,000,” junior Jonathan Moore said. “I think we will beat the volleyball team this year.”

The event may bring out a spirit of friendly competition for the volleyball and soccer players, but at the heart of it, athletes from both teams welcome the opportunity to give back to someone in the community.

“[Participating] makes me happy to play because I’ve had family that has had cancer,” Moore said. “It really hits hard so when I can play and help out those people, it makes me feel like I’m doing something for them.”

For two members of the volleyball team, this year’s Volley for a Cure game hits closer to home than some previous match-ups. Buzo’s daughters, freshman Ally Turkowski and junior Lily Turkowski, play on the freshman and varsity volleyball teams respectively.

“This year, the proceeds will actually be going to my mom. She was a past recipient in 2017 when she was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer,” Lily Turkowski said. “A couple of months ago she was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Playing for the cause this year means a lot to me since it is an individual so close to me.”

While this year may be even more personal, the annual event serves as a yearly reminder for the athletes involved.