Freshman Eva Long named to 2026 High School Watch List

PHOTO Eva Long

Lily Turkowski, Writer

Freshman Eva Long has definitely turned many heads within the years she has been playing volleyball. 

Long currently plays as the only freshman on Fenton High’s varsity volleyball team and also plays club volleyball for Legacy Volleyball. 

“I have been playing volleyball since I was nine,” Long said. “The team, the atmosphere and the competition caused me to fall in love with the sport.”

Long was named State Bank’s Athlete of the Week for Sept. 19 after leading her FHS team, serving 50 times in two matches the previous week with a record of 49-50 from the service line. She has also been named on the Prep Volleyball Watch List for the class of 2026, which gives Long an opportunity to be highlighted as a well-known athlete in volleyball.

“Eva is a natural leader as she has a fierce competitive spirit and works extremely hard. She is diligently committed to improving and also is very talented,” Legacy Coach Jen Cottrill said. “All of those characteristics make her extremely successful on and off the court.”

During school volleyball season, Long has played as an all-around player, which means rather than substituting out for another player, she is able to stay on the court for the entirety of the match. This gives her the opportunity to play as a hitter, defensive specialist and a setter.

“When the time comes to start focusing on college,” Long said, “I would aim to play as a setter rather than an all-around player.”

Long’s current volleyball career seems to be setting herself up to achieve this goal.

“Eva has a very high volleyball IQ and is literally good at every skill,” Cottrill said. “It’s rare to have a high level setter be able to attack, pass and defend like Eva does.”

Not only has Legacy Volleyball helped Long become the player she is, but the program also works to transform all of their athletes into the best athletes they can be.

“Legacy’s main goal is to provide an environment where our players feel challenged, empowered and a part of a family— all while playing the game they love,” Cottrill said. “At the highest level, which Eva plays, we focus on competing on the national level and providing guidance and support to help each athlete continue their volleyball career in college.”

Legacy Volleyball continues to work with Long in order to achieve her goals for the future.

“One of my goals for the rest of the school season is to be more consistent and confident,” Long said. “A goal for the future is to be able to play Division 1 indoor and beach volleyball.”

Long will continue to work towards districts with Fenton varsity volleyball with their last Metro League game being away on Oct. 19 against Linden. Districts will start shortly after.