Volleyball program receives Got Milk sponsorship

At Cooks Dairy Farm, freshmen Adrie Staib, Grace Maccaughan and Lilly Philstrom pet a calf. The freshman, JV and varsity volleyball teams went to the farm for their Got Milk grant.

PHOTO Abby Sizemore

At Cook’s Dairy Farm, freshmen Adrie Staib, Grace Maccaughan and Lilly Philstrom pet a calf. The freshman, JV and varsity volleyball teams went to the farm for their Got Milk grant.

Lydia Podlesak, Assissant Print Editor

The girls volleyball program applied for and was awarded a sponsorship by Got Milk for their fall season. Through the sponsorship, $2,000 goes towards the program. 

“What made me want to apply for the sponsorship was obviously to give the team a good opportunity for the educational resources,” varsity coach Meghan Polce said, “and to spoil my girls a little bit with the benefits.”

As a part of the sponsorship, the players get milk before and after games and practices, along with educational resources on nutrition. 

“With myself being a health teacher and health guru,” Polce said, “health and nutrition has been a big interest of mine, so being able to educate the girls while being sent resources to do so was a great opportunity. Health and nutrition is so important in performance sports.”

In addition to money, the volleyball program is provided with the opportunity to host a community event, educate the youth or seek out education for themselves. On Aug 22, the volleyball program ventured to Cook’s Dairy Farms for a field trip and tour. 

“Going to the farm was a really interesting experience because all three levels of the program went together, so we all got to bond,” senior Abbey Lamb said. “We saw baby cows and we learned about how they process milk and about the culturizing process. We also got free homemade ice cream, which was a bonus.”

The players gained insight on the daily lives of farmers from talking to employees of Cook’s Farm during the field trip. 

“I gained respect for the farmers and saw their hard work in raising and milking cows,” Lamb said. “Their job is difficult and we learned about how much work goes into it.”