Fenton InPrint Online

Fenton InPrint Online

Fenton InPrint Online

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Mental Health Matters: Connecting with nature

PHOTO Ariana Papcun

As the spring season approaches, connecting with nature is a great way to increase a positive mindset and benefit mental health.

With the weather getting warmer and the sun staying out longer, being outside can impact mental health in positive ways. According to Mentalhealth.org, nature can generate numerous positive emotions: calmness, joy, creativity and concentration. It is also associated with lower levels of depression and anxiety, increasing better mental health. 

According to Apa.org, spending time in nature also has cognitive benefits. Having green spaces near schools or work buildings promotes self-control behaviors. Exposure to nature’s natural elements can improve memory and cognitive flexibility. Nature also triggers physiological responses that are linked to reducing stress.

It’s as simple as just breathing in the fresh air, commuting outside or just sitting and enjoying the natural presence of nature. Sometimes, life can get demanding and there is not a lot of free time to spend to yourself. However, just spending a moment in nature creates positivity and other benefits that are worth being outside. 

We should all take time out of our busy schedules and relax in the calming environment that surrounds us. It is important to have these moments in nature because after all, it is one of the most healthy and organic ways to heal.