Sophomore Grace Olsen wins states for girls swim

Photo credit: Grace Olsen

Riann Masi, Writer

The girls swim team attended the state swim competition at Oakland University Nov. 22-23. Sophomore Grace Olsen had a successful weekend at states, taking home more than two wins for herself and for the girls swim team. Olsen competed in the 200 Freestyle and the 100 Fly events individually, as well as the 200 Medley and 400 Freestyle relays. 

Swimming is mostly an individual sport,” Olsen said. “But to accomplish the goal of attending states the whole team had to work together and work hard.”

The swim team practices from the beginning of the school year with the state meet in mind. Olsen swims two relays, her first relay is the 200 medley with her teammates junior Abby Dolliver, sophomore Halee Alexander, and senior Lillie Kromer, and also the 400 freestyle with Doliver, senior Delaney Fries and Kromer. 

For swimming being such an individual sport, competing in relays helps the team become more of a family and team,” Olsen said. “We’ve been together for a long time so we all share a bond, we know either way the relay goes we did our hardest.”

Olsen has been swimming competitively for eight years but learned as a baby how to swim. Olsen started swimming at a young age and expects to keep going through to college.

“I started swimming because, after trying a bunch of other sports, swim was something I was good at,” Olsen said. “I found swimming was what I was best at and also felt the most natural doing. All other sports I tried didn’t feel natural to me.” 

Olsen will continue swimming with her club team OLY until the next school year. The swim season may be over, but training continues for Olsen and the Fenton girls swim team.