The student news site of Fenton High School

Fenton InPrint Online

Fenton InPrint Online

Fenton InPrint Online

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

FHS Staff members participate in the 2024 Polar Plunge

On Feb. 3, Fenton Area Public Schools (FAPS) teachers and staff participated in the 2024 Polar Plunge to support Special Olympics Michigan (SOMI). SOMI works to provide equal opportunity for athletes, regardless of ability. According to plungemi.com, the Polar Plunge is the most lucrative annual fundraiser for Special Olympics Michigan. Plungers wishing to participate begin by collecting pledges from family and friends, giving them the opportunity to jump into cold bodies of water during the fun wintertime event. 

FHS special education teacher, Elizabeth Tyrrell was captain of the FAPS Tigers this year, and led the team at the Lake Fenton event. 

“I’m really big into sports and because I am one of the ASD teachers here at the high school, I think it’s really important to participate in something that will benefit my students,” Tyrrell said. “I plunged last year and it’s so much fun; it’s the most hype environment and it goes to such a great cause.”

This year, Team Fenton’s plunge goal was to raise $90,000.  Because of their hard work and community support, the Tigers were able to collect $150,400, which will support year-round training and travel for over 23,000 athletes statewide with intellectual disabilities.  

“Being a part of the high school ASD program is something that I am really proud of.  We do a lot of great things to help both students and gen-ed students,” Tyrrell said.  “It’s really a surreal experience. I can certainly jump into a frigid lake if it means that my students and other kids around the nation are going to benefit from that.”

According to a News Channel 3 article, the 2023 Polar Plunge raised over $1.7 million dollars for SOMI. The 2024 event is ongoing, with around 28 individual Plunge events scheduled all around Michigan.