Saying Goodbye

Maintaining friendships, making new important steps in growing up

Friends, true friends, are hard to come by, so when you develop a friendship that you never want to lose, it almost breaks your heart when life gives you the chance to grow apart. College can seem like that chance, but it doesn’t have to be.

Think about it, you and your best friend are back home for Christmas or Thanksgiving, there’s no way that you cannot see each other. All of the fun, crazy, stressful stories you have about your first semester in college that need further explanation than what text can provide will come out and, all of the sudden, no time apart has passed at all.

And don’t forget about social media. Twitter and Instagram accounts make it impossible to ignore what your friends are up to unless you block them. But the ability to block other users is amazing because you have the power to never see or hear from the people who annoyed you in highschool again. Also the friends you had that start to judge the display of your new college self via social media can judge no more because you just blocked them.

One of the most important things I learned about friendships while making the transition from middle school to high school, a situation where both parties attended a new school, is you can’t let old friends keep you from moving on and nothing will end unless it’s meant to or if you let it. You can’t worry jealousy or leaving someone out when your high school friends are miles and miles or multiple states away.

Making new friends seems like it should be one of the best parts of college. One of the best parts of college, however, would be impossible to experience if you’re worried about losing high school friends. This is a silly thing to worry about because if your friend is really a friend, they will always be your friend.

So the scariest part of graduating high school and going away to college is not leaving friends behind, it’s hanging on to those past relationships too tightly that it keeps you from moving on and making more, dear friendships.