Fenton High Adrenaline Dance Team takes first place

PHOTO Toni Harris

Posing for a picture, the Fenton High Adrenaline Dance team smiles with their newly won awards. The team attended a competition on Nov. 2 at Grand Blanc High School.

Sydney Bommersbach, Assisstant Online Editor in Chief

Sitting on the gym floor in a circle, the 15 members of the Fenton High Adrenaline Dance Team hold hands with their heads down, waiting to hear the results of the varsity hip-hop group division. Starting backward from fifth place, they cheered with excitement when the MC announced Fenton High School in the first place spot. 

“It felt so good to receive first place at our first competition this year,” senior Reagan Wood said. “This was important to me especially because it was my first time representing Fenton High with a sport.”

Junior Emilia Owocki also had a first time experience, even though she has competed in dance team group routines, she had never brought a solo to a Dance Team Union (DTU) competition. Performing a contemporary solo, Owocki also earned herself a first place, making her a regional champion as a soloist.

“I was so surprised when they announced me in the first place spot,” Owocki said. “I didn’t get a chance to watch most of the other solos, so I didn’t really know what I was up against. My dance teacher told me before that dance team competitions are pretty different from studio competitions, so I also went in with no expectations. Getting first place really gives me reassurance that all the work I’m putting in pays off.”

The practice time and energy invested by the whole team helped them improve from last season, where they placed third in the group hip-hop division. This includes that of the coaches, who work in the background to make the performances happen. 

“This team has accomplished many ‘firsts’ this year,” head coach Toni Harris said. “It is the biggest team I’ve ever had, having Marissa Bellinger as an assistant coach, competing so early in the season and then winning. To me, taking first just validated that we have a great group of girls that are so awesome on and off the floor.”

Working on finding a display case, students, staff and family members who visit the high school will soon be able to view their collected awards. The team’s next competition is on Jan. 19 at Davenport University.