In-state colleges that provide an affordable education

Grahm Staib, Writer

According to Michigan Radio, the average college graduate in Michigan finishes with over $30,000 in student loan debts. For students that are worried about finishing school in debt, there are options for high school students in Michigan to reduce these costs through in-state community colleges and universities. Some of the schools on this list are within driving distance of Fenton, which could also allow students to commute and avoid paying room-and-board costs.

Mott Community College: Mott is one of the more popular choices for Fenton High School graduates to attend college. Mott provides Fenton high grads with the opportunity to evaluate their career options, while reducing tuition price and eliminating room-and-board costs. Mott Community College’s tuition is around $5,112 a year.

Saginaw Valley State University: Saginaw Valley’s sticker tuition price lies lower than most schools at around $10,000 per year, not including scholarships a student might receive from the school. Saginaw Valley provides students with the opportunity to stay on campus while keeping overall costs low.

Eastern Michigan University: Eastern Michigan also offers a lower tuition cost at around $13,500 a year. Some students with a qualifying GPA and/or SAT score may be able to qualify for the 4WARD scholarship, making their final two years tuition-free. Eastern Michigan is located in Ypsilanti, which is around a 45 minute drive from Fenton, so it is also possible to commute.

University of Michigan-Flint: UM-Flint provides students of Fenton with the opportunity to receive an education at an affordable cost while commuting from home. This could also be an option for students who did not get accepted to UM-Ann Arbor. Tuition costs are also quite low, at around $11,300 per year.

Baker College: Baker College offers programs in a wide range of fields, and with differing degree types. Although Baker College has many different campus locations, it’s closest campus to Fenton is in Flint, allowing students to commute or pay for room-and-board. Baker’s tuition is similar to Saginaw Valley’s, at around $10,000 per year.