Fenton InPrint Online

Fenton InPrint Online

Fenton InPrint Online

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Choosing the right college

PHOTO Sylvia Kline

For the Class of 2024, college application season is in full swing and without the proper preparation, applications can be daunting and overwhelming. When developing a final college list, creating a Common Application account and the eventual submission of applications, there are numerous factors senior applicants should consider. 

The first step in determining a college is to consider personal aspirations and future goals. These, or lack thereof, will determine the program an individual wants to pursue, and consequently, the colleges that offer the determined program. Then, applicants can begin to research schools that offer their desired majors and minors. 

Another important factor for consideration is the campus location. The desired distance from home is important because of its practicality. This will determine if a car is necessary and how often an individual can visit home. 

According to Forbes, “Some students may flourish with the independence afforded by a greater distance from home, but it is important to recognize that going to school far from home requires commitment and confidence.”

Urban, rural or suburban campus options also play a large part into consideration for colleges and universities. Class size is also a major factor that is completely based on preference. Whether a student enjoys and performs better in a small class versus a large class is completely unique to that individual student. 

The campus life and extracurricular offerings also play a role in determining if a school is a good fit for applicants. If things like Greek life, religious clubs, student government, etc. are very important to an individual, they should apply to schools with these offerings. 

The final, all-encompassing factor is the cost of college. Objectively, four-year institutions are expensive, and the total cost of tuition, room and board and books all need to be considered with the students’ parents before making a final commitment. 

Though the entire college application process can be overwhelming, the College Board advises all applicants to keep an open mind and practice self-reflection during the initial school search and admissions processes.