The student news site of Fenton High School

Fenton InPrint Online

Fenton InPrint Online

Fenton InPrint Online

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

A Closer Look: Getting to know junior Brooke Waters

Screenshot
PHOTO Brooke Waters
Screenshot

Students are shoulder to shoulder each day in the hallways, but how much do they really know about the people walking next to them? This series will feature the students of FHS along with their talents, hobbies and passions. “A Closer Look” is meant to showcase what makes the students of FHS who they are.

Junior Brooke Waters has always had a passion for school spirit. Ever since middle school, she has participated in spirit week, and her love for showing off her Tiger pride has grown into her junior year. 

“The first time I started dressing up was on Halloween for Papa Smurf. Before that, I did have little school spirit. But that was more in middle school,” Waters said. “In the beginning of high school, I was kind of more shy and reserved because of COVID.” 

Waters shared the beginning of her school spirit story, and revealed her achievements from her willingness to exhibit her spirit. Throughout homecoming week of her junior year, she was recognized for the most school spirit in the school. However, this wasn’t the first time that sparked her desire to have spirit.

“In the beginning of junior year, we had a tailgate thing in the football season. And I told everybody, ‘Okay guys this year I’m going to stop caring what everyone thinks completely, because I’m not going to see them again after I graduate,’” Waters said. “That’s also when I decided to try to be the loudest and have all kinds of support. And like, nobody really cares. Once I started opening up more this year, I just stopped caring. And I think that’s what really helped: definitely stop caring.”

Waters opened up about her change this past year, and it has impacted her to become someone she loves to be. Even though she has fun being decked out in school spirit, she still faces challenges. 

“Being alone in doing it is the hardest because it’s a little bit embarrassing, but it’s okay. It’s kind of funny, like some people’s reactions,” Waters said. 

However, she adapted to the lifestyle of coming out of her comfort zone, and she realized that it is not something to be ashamed or afraid of, but something to be proud of. Waters gave advice to underclassmen or anyone who is willing to be themselves and have more tiger pride. 

“Definitely, definitely, definitely stop worrying about other people completely, because you’re not going to see them after you graduate,” Waters said. “And if you’re going to waste your entire high school career just worrying about what other people think then you’re gonna end up regretting so many things, because you’re not going to have the experience of doing spirit week again.”

As Waters’ junior year comes to a close, she plans to continue on her spirit and expand her involvement within the school. 

“I’m definitely looking forward to getting out even more out of my comfort zone by helping the underclassmen and being interactive through IB Theatre and Video Productions. Yes, just that kind of thing, getting more involved,” Waters said. “You don’t have to be scared to make new friends and talk to new people. I think with the confidence that I’ve gained this year, I will carry on.”

Waters carries on her spirit through the halls of FHS; every holiday and every spirit day is where she’ll be spotted dressed up creatively and decked out in her Tiger pride.